1. They are universes that fit in your hand. Really. Little universes made from someone’s mind that fits IN YOUR HANDS. And you paint the picture with your mind. No artists telling you what to imagine!
2. Books don’t require power sources A form of entertainment that’s rare these days: something that’s not electronic. Sure, I love technology. I mean, I run a blog. I also own (and love) a Kindle. In the digital age, there’s something refreshing about picking up something that doesn’t need to be charged or a special case to carry around with you.
3. THE SMELL. THE SMELL. Books smell amazing. New books, old books. Paperback, hardback. It doesn’t matter. I want my house to smell like books. I want my clothes to smell like books. Don’t act like you can resist the smell of good old-fashioned paper and ink. You know you can’t.
4. They are harbingers of knowledge. No one likes ignorance. Good thing there’s an easily accessible cure for it–books!
5.Books allow you to escape no matter where you are Sometimes life sucks. We wish we were somewhere else. When things get to be too stressful, I read. When I read, I’m living on a different version of Earth, or even a different planet all together. I’m living someone else’s life. It’s just a break we all need sometimes.
6. Authors and characters become your best friends, even if they don’t know you exist or they’re fictional Growing up, my closest friends were fictional: Harry Potter, Ron, Hermione, Daine Sarrasri. I knew them better and understood them more than kids my own age. Authors of your favorite books grow on you too. After all, they created a universe you want to live in and characters you loved. How could you not like them? (Looking at you, JK Rowling & Tamora Pierce)
7. They drive a sense of community around them Okay, so TV and bands can have fandoms too, but there’s something so special about books. I don’t think I’ll ever feel a sense of community as strong as a group at a Harry Potter book release party.
What about you? What do you love about books? What did I leave off? What’s your favorite book/series? Be sure to tell me!
Look, I could gush all day about books. I love reading them. I love writing them. I’ll leave it here though! If you agree, feel free to share! Be sure to like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter!